Tipo de centro:
Tipo de contrato:
Applications are invited for a PhD fellowship in functional linguistics (Spanish) starting September 2021 at the Department of Linguistics of the University of Leuven.
‘Speech-act orientation and intersubjective alignment: modal and evidential meanings of Spanish conditional and future forms’.
This project is concerned with the modal and evidential meanings of the Spanish conditional and future markers. On the basis corpus evidence the candidate will inquire into their spreading into new territories, semantically and pragmatically, in Peninsular and Latin American varieties of Spanish. The starting point is a set of case studies on the development of un(der)described constructions such as Estaría necesitando un abrazo urgente (Lit. I would be needing a hug urgent ‘I need a hug urgently’), which parody the hearsay conditional to express the speaker's subjective stance or judgement. The working hypothesis is that the constructional changes follow a tendency towards increasing speech-act orientation. To demonstrate this directionality, we will examine recent stages of change and look into the distribution of epistemic rights and access in the speech situation, the combination of perspectives, and the pragmatic enabling factors for change. We will develop syntactic and semantic-pragmatic arguments grounded in a data-based approach and in statistical models. More information about the project can be requested by e-mail.
Applicants are expected to have the following qualifications and attitudes:
- an MA in linguistics (or equivalent, e.g. BA Hons), with academic distinction. Students graduating in July 2021 are also encouraged to apply;
- a solid background in the domains of linguistics relevant to the topic of the project, preferably with research experience in Spanish corpus linguistics;
- strong analytical skills and the motivation to pursue descriptively innovative work in linguistics;
- ability to present research results at international conferences, and to publish in peer-reviewed journals;
- expertise and (near-)native competence in Spanish and English;
- demonstrable skills in academic writing;
- willingness to undertake the study of prosody;
- willingness to acquire the necessary statistical know-how for the analysis of the data;
- willingness to provide (limited) assistance with teaching, student supervision and data management;
- good communication skills and the ability to present research results at international conferences
- you strive for excellence and are a loyal team player, who can also work autonomously and deliver solid scientific work.
- you have a cooperative attitude and the capacity to actively participate in activities and in events of the research group and department.
You can apply for this job no later than June 30, 2021 via the online application tool.
Please include a cover letter, an academic CV, the names of up to three referees, and a sample piece of academic writing (either the cover letter or the sample piece of writing should be in English).
Online interviews will be held with shortlisted candidates in the first half of July 2021.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Maria Sol Sansiñena Pascual: email@example.com.