With a new year upon us, now is the perfect time to start a new routine in your classroom. I know most teachers are familiar with the work of Harry Wong, but how many of us apply those practices every day despite their incredible benefits? Let’s take a look at the reasons for implementing a “greeting” system into your class:
- We acknowledge and honor a student’s presence.
- We model proper social behavior in welcoming someone’s arrival.
- It establishes a positive classroom climate in which students feel a sense of connection and belonging.
- It establishes a positive relationship between teacher and student.
- Research* has shown it increases student engagement in class.
- Research* has shown it decreases...